Friday, 31 August 2007

Mother Goose is on the Loose!















You may remember the traditional nursery rhyme Jack and Jill from your own childhood! This week the children talked about Jack and Jill going up the hill. They learned what a well is and even acted out the rhyme (in our case, we used a trashcan to represent the well!) The children practiced "reading" the rhyme from left-to-right and top to bottom. They read the rhyme using a deep, gruff "Jack" voice and a silly, high "Jill" voice. Make sure to ask your child to recite the rhyme using a "Jack" voice and then a "Jill" voice! For a copy of the rhyme for your child to practice reading, go to http://www.kinderfriends.com/jackandjill.doc
Finally we talked about rhyming words:

What's the word that rhymes with Jill? Can you guess the word?

Standing outside my windowsill, in the winter I feel a ... (chill)

My dad does woodworking with lots of skill. I love to watch him use his ... (drill)

Eating hamburgers is a thrill when we cook them on the ... (grill)

When I was sick and feeling ill, my mom gave me a yellow ... (pill)


What a fun week! Next week's nursery rhyme... Hickory Dickory Dock!

No comments: